Do you find yourself glued to beauty tutorials or drooling over the latest beauty trends?
Are you interested in a career where you can help people look and feel their best?
Looking for a flexible role in a growing industry with limitless opportunities?
If you’re nodding along right now, you might be destined for a career in the beauty industry.
There has never been a better time to get involved in the beauty industry, with Irish consumers spending millions every year on beauty products and beauty treatments.
In fact, in 2019, Statistica reported a whopping 736 million euro worth of revenue in the Irish Cosmetics and Personal Care sector!
If you’re interested in being a part of this growing and lucrative industry, read on!
A Career in Beauty = Endless Possibilities
Traditionally, the beauty industry offered two main paths; Hair Stylist or Makeup Artist. Today, the list of creative beauty careers stretches far beyond that including:
?Hair Stylist/ Colourist
?Hair Removal Technician
Whether you love working with people, looking for job security or craving a creative outlet, there are many benefits to considering a career in the beauty industry.
- Flexibility: If you decide to work for yourself, you can choose how, when and where you work.
- Creative: You’ll have the opportunity to flex your creative muscles daily, whether that’s keeping up with trends or starting your own.
- Rewarding: As a people-centric role, you will be helping clients feel and look their best every day.
- Varied: No one day is the same & each day you will meet new people with different needs and requests.
- Job Security: People will always want and need beauty treatments, and that offers a degree of job security that some other industries are just not capable of providing today.
There are different career paths into beauty. To determine the best direction for you, we recommend asking yourself the following questions:
Do you want to work for yourself or someone else?
Will you specialise in a specific area or offer a varied service?
Where will you work? Set up at home? Rent a space? Or travel to a client’s home?
With the answers to these questions in your back pocket, it’s time to take action. Here are 4 of our top tips for taking the first steps into a career in beauty:
- Whether you are looking to upskill or start from scratch, try to choose a course with as much hands-on experience as possible.
- Enlist the help of friends and family to start building up a portfolio. This will be beneficial to attract future employers or potential clients.
- Start building your personal brand online. Instagram, TikTok & YouTube are all great platforms to build your social media presence, showcase your expertise and passion and attract your ideal clients.
- Create a FREE account with us to be the first to hear about new job opportunities in the beauty industry. Browse our jobs board and course directory to find new and exciting job opportunities and upskilling and re-training opportunities Career Hub
We chosen a few of our favourite beauty schools to get you started.
The beauty of transformation happens when you can hold a soul in a container of pure love and caring about everyone. Aspens have a unique way of teaching as all students receive one to one tuition to suit individual requirements and at no extra cost. Our Students leave the college with full confidence and knowledge, competent and experienced in beauty and holistic treatments making them attractive to employers as well as having all the skills required for self employment. View their courses HERE
Nsi Hair Nail and Beauty is an Award winning Training company show why they are the best in the business. Having been rewarded for training excellence by the IBPA, Nail and Beauty students have won awards themselves. View their courses HERE
Suzanne Egan Academy – Dublin
Suzanne Egan is a Lash & Brow Artist who is a certified & accredited trainer with 10 years experience! Specialising in Beginners Brow, Henna & Brow Lamination, Lash Extensions and Lash Lift. View their course HERE
The Lash Boutique – Blackrock, Co.Dublin Thereasa Arcari has won Awards for Best Lash Artist and Lash Educator and has seen demand grow beyond expectation with the next generation of Lash Artists keen to learn from one of the industries most recognised experts in the field. View their courses HERE