Are you ready to jump back into the workforce and pursue a career that’s both rewarding and exciting? If you have a natural gift for communication and persuasion, then a career in sales may be just the opportunity you’ve been searching for!
Sales is a fast-paced, exciting, dynamic field offering tremendous personal and professional growth opportunities. In this blog, we’ll explore what a career in sales might look like and why it might be a good fit for you.
Firstly, what is Sales?
At its core, sales involves persuading individuals or businesses to purchase products or services.
Sales professionals may work for various organisations, from small businesses to large corporations, and may specialise in a particular industry or product category. While the specifics of the role can vary, sales typically involves building relationships with potential customers, identifying their needs and goals, and presenting solutions that meet those needs.
The benefits of a career in Sales
A career in sales has always been a popular choice for people looking for a dynamic and fast-paced work environment, but it can also be an excellent option for Returners. Here are a few reasons why:
One of the benefits of a sales career is its flexibility. Sales professionals have the freedom to manage their own schedules and often have the ability to work remotely or from home. This flexibility can be especially valuable for Returners who may need to juggle family responsibilities or have other commitments that require a flexible schedule.
Many of the skills that Returners have developed over their careers, such as communication, problem-solving and relationship building, are highly transferable to a sales role. Salespeople must be able to communicate effectively with customers, understand their needs, and build relationships with them to drive sales. Returners with experience in customer service, marketing, or other client-facing roles can easily apply these skills to a sales career.
High earning potential
Sales roles often come with high earning potential, especially if you successfully drive sales and generate revenue for your company. While sales positions may come with some risks, such as the potential for commissions to fluctuate, the potential for high earnings is a significant incentive for many. This can be especially valuable for Returners who may have taken a break from work for financial reasons.
Opportunity for growth
Sales roles can provide excellent opportunities for career growth and advancement. As you gain experience and develop your skills, you can move up the ranks to higher-level positions or transition into leadership roles. The skills you develop in a sales role, such as leadership, communication, and problem-solving, can be highly valued in other areas of the business, providing you with additional opportunities to grow.
Types of Sales careers in Ireland
There are various sales careers in Ireland, ranging from entry-level to senior positions. Here are just a few of the most common types of sales careers you can explore:
- Retail Sales: selling products or services directly to customers in a physical store.
- B2B Sales: selling products or services to other businesses rather than to customers.
- Account management: managing relationships with existing customers to ensure customer satisfaction and generate repeat business.
- SaaS sales: selling a company’s web-based software to B2B customers
- Technology sales: selling technology such as software, hardware or IT services to individuals or businesses.
- Sales management: overseeing a team of sales professionals, setting sales goals, and developing sales strategies.
- Real estate sales: selling or leasing residential or commercial properties to clients.
- Financial sales: selling financial products or services, such as insurance, investments or banking services.
Key skills required for a career in Sales
There are several key skills important for a career in sales:
- Communication skills: A salesperson must have excellent written and verbal communication skills to be able to communicate effectively with customers and colleagues.
- Interpersonal skills: Building and maintaining strong relationships with customers, colleagues, and other stakeholders is critical in sales.
- Negotiation skills: necessary to persuade customers to purchase products or services and negotiate deals with suppliers and partners.
- Problem-solving skills: Sales professionals must be able to identify customer needs, provide solutions, and overcome objections to close deals.
- Adaptability: Sales can be unpredictable and often requires flexibility and the ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and customer demands.
- Resilience: Sales can be challenging and requires persistence and resilience to handle rejection and deal with difficult customers.
- Sales techniques: Familiarity with various sales techniques, such as consultative selling, relationship selling and solution selling, can help a salesperson be more effective in their role.
- Technology skills: In today’s digital world, salespeople must be comfortable using tech, such as CRM software, social media and virtual communication tools, to reach and engage with customers.
Sales Courses in Ireland
Finding the right course that supports your specific Sales career goals is vital. To make your search that bit easier, we’ve compiled a list of some fantastic Sales-related courses in Ireland to consider:
Diploma in Selling & Sales Management This course is designed to give either existing salespeople or others looking to break into sales a greater insight into the profession of selling and sales management. The course is delivered by a lecturer with over 15 years experience of working in sales and offers students a balance between the theoretical and practical elements of sales, with the emphasis on selling and sales management skills.
Digital Marketing is rated as one of the most desirable skillsets for job applicants by business employers. This is a unique sales-focused digital marketing programme. Graduates of this course will gain the knowledge and learn valuable skills in Digital Marketing and Sales which can assist them to find employment as a digital marketer.
There’s no mystery in sales. Opening and closing a sale are skills that can be learned and you have the opportunity to do so in this course. Employers are aware that having competent sales force is very important and many organizations can’t thrive without sales people improving the cash flow. Not surprisingly, jobs in sales are available in almost any business, whether it caters directly to consumers (Business to Customer) or to other businesses (B2B or Business to Business).